Organize a Run for Literacy Team to run, walk, and stride in the Ann Arbor Marathon
Thank you for your interest in organizing a Run for LiteracyTeam to run or walk in the Ann Arbor Marathon on behalf of Washtenaw Literacy! Anybody can organize and recruit a Run for Literacy Team including:
- Small businesses
- Local community organizations such as book clubs, softball teams, churches, mosques, synagogues, etc…
- Groups of friends and family of three or more
Benefits of organizing a Run for Literacy Team
- A Run for Literacy Team is a great way for your organization to share a common goal and build employee camaraderie.
- Visibility and recognition through Washtenaw Literacy tells the local citizenry your company is a highly respectable corporate citizen
- Endurance training (walking, running, etc…) has a proven positive impact on the personal fitness and health goals of individual employees.
- All team members receive a free Washtenaw Literacy tech shirt to wear on race day.
- All team members invited to Washtenaw Literacy’s post-race victory party at Wolverine State Brewery.
Race day is on June 9, 2013 and we’re excited to have support from both runners and walkers! We hope that the Ann Arbor Marathon & Half Marathon, 5K, 1.2 Mile Kids Marathon will inspire you to raise funds for Washtenaw Literacy.
If you’d like organize a team, email us at
to get started.
On this page you will find everything you need to plan, and promote your Run for Literacy Teamincluding:
- Race and registration information
- Simple ideas and guidelines to organize, and recruit a successful team.
- Training information that you can share with your participants (coming soon!)
Team requirements and registration with the Ann Arbor Marathon
Run for Literacy Team requirements
- The minimum fundraising requirement for each team member is $75.
- Keep track of your progress and sent monthly reports back to Washtenaw Literacy.
It’s important to note all registrations should be made directly to the Ann Arbor Marathon.
There are two ways to register your team with the Ann Arbor Marathon:
- Team Sponsors (for example, an employer, business, church or individual) pays for the registrations of all team members (recommended)
Simply complete this form to register your team and send with payment information to:
Mail: Champs for Charity, 320 W. Washington Street, Ann Arbor, MI 48103
- Individual registration
Go to: http://theannarbormarathon.com/race-registration and follow the instructions from there.
Corporate Major Event Sponsorship
Businesses and corporations are invited to sponsor the event. A variety of sponsorship levels are offered to provide visibility before, during and after race day, and take leadership in supporting literacy.
Organizing and recruiting your team
Here are some ideas to get you started. Use the Team Captain Kit for additional tools and ideas to get you started.
- Use a top-down approach by securing the approval of upper management and human resources to recruit a Run for Literacy Team.
- Send a company-wide memo from a top-level executive telling them about your Run for Literacy Team, encouraging them to join or sponsor a co-worker.
- Hold an informational session with free snacks to explain the importance of the cause, conclude the session by asking team members to sign up for the team.
- Stress the importance of the cause and that runners and walkers are welcome.
- Ask your employer to support the team by paying for the registrations of all team members
- Determine whether your team will accept members to run in all races or just one race.
- If you are seeking a business to sponsor your team, for example a sporting goods store or a book store, ask to speak to the manager in person and bring printed information to share.
- Church groups may take special collections towards supporting a mission for literacy.
Getting your team ready for fundraising
Share this fundraising kit with team members to help kick start their fundraising campaigns.
Getting your team ready for race day
More to come...