Changing lives one word at a time
Welcome! Our Mission Statement: Believing that literacy is the foundation for a sustainable community, Washtenaw Literacy provides literacy support, free of charge, to adults through a network of trained tutors. It is our vision to eliminate illiteracy in Washtenaw County. For over 40 years we have been empowering adults through improved literacy. Since our founding in 1971, we have served over 20,000 learners and trained and fully supported over 10,000 volunteer tutors. Learn more.
- Free TUTORING for ADULTS of ALL AGES! Free, flexible tutoring in basic reading, writing, math and English as a Second Language (ESL): Learn more.
- Learners: We have so many learning opportunities for you throughout the community. Take a look at some of our featured programs below:
- Attend an ESL Open Tutoring session today. See the schedule for locations and times, all are open to new learners: Click here for the Fall ESL Open Tutoring schedule.
- Basic Literacy Learners: Attend a Basic Literacy Open Tutoring session today.
- Register for a Learning Lab: These are small-group, topic-specific workshops. RSVP REQUIRED.
- Click here to see the schedule.
- ANNOUNCING! New tutoring opportunity for ESL at the newly renovated Westgate Ann Arbor Library Branch. Tutoring will be on Thursdays, starting . We look forward to seeing you there.
- VOTING WORKSHOPS FOR LEARNERS - All adult learners are welcome. These non-partisan workshops provide sample ballots, plain language voting information, and an opportunity to better understand our democracy. For more information, Contact Renee at 734-377-0552. All Voting Workshops will be held at the Community Opportunity Center (1301 S. Harris, Ypsilanti).
- Fri Oct 21, 10-Noon
Meet Some of Washtenaw Literacy’s Learners