Changing lives one word at a time
Welcome! Our Mission Statement: Believing that literacy is the foundation for a sustainable community, Washtenaw Literacy provides literacy support, free of charge, to adults through a network of trained tutors. It is our vision to eliminate illiteracy in Washtenaw County. For over 40 years we have been empowering adults through improved literacy. Since our founding in 1971, we have served over 20,000 learners and trained and fully supported over 10,000 volunteer tutors. Learn more.
- Free TUTORING for ADULTS of ALL AGES! Free, flexible tutoring in basic reading, writing, math and English as a Second Language (ESL): Learn more.
- Learners: We have so many learning opportunities for you throughout the community. Take a look at some of our featured programs below:
- Attend an ESL Group today. See the schedule for locations and times, all are open to new learners: Click here for the current ESL Group Schedule.
- Basic Literacy Learners: Attend a Basic Literacy Group today.
- Register for a Learning Lab: These are small-group, topic-specific workshops. RSVP REQUIRED.
- Click here to see the schedule.
- Washtenaw Literacy is hiring! Please click here for details about openings for a Development Director and a summertime Temp office assistant.
Meet Some of Washtenaw Literacy’s Learners