Changing lives one word at a time
Welcome! Our Mission Statement: Believing that literacy is the foundation for a sustainable community, Washtenaw Literacy provides literacy support, free of charge, to adults through a network of trained tutors. It is our vision to eliminate illiteracy in Washtenaw County. For over 40 years we have been empowering adults through improved literacy. Since our founding in 1971, we have served over 20,000 learners and trained and fully supported over 10,000 volunteer tutors. Learn more.
- Free TUTORING for ADULTS of ALL AGES! Free, flexible tutoring in basic reading, writing, math and English as a Second Language (ESL): Learn more.
- Attend a FREE ESL Group today. See the schedule for locations and times, all are open to new learners: Fall 2015 ESL Community Groups Schedule.
- Learners: Consider registering for one of our Winter Learning Labs at our Community Opportunity Center in Ypsilanti. Click here for the schedule and registration details. For directions to the Community Opportunity Center, click here.
- Learners: Join our upcoming Financial Empowerment Course. This 10-week FDIC Money Smart workshop will teach you how to budget and track spending, open and manage a bank account, plan for your future, and much more! To view the flyer, click here. If you would like to register for this fantastic FREE course, click here.
- Community Share - for ESL Learners: Ann Arbor Public Schools is hosting a ELL (English Language Learners) Community Fair on December 7th, 2015. The evening will include a series of information sessions and community outreach support for area agencies, including Washtenaw Literacy. When & Where: Monday, December 7th, 6pm-8:30pm at Pioneer High School. Click here for a flyer.
Meet Some of Washtenaw Literacy’s Learners